Growth Management Act Periodic Update
This page is dedicated to the Growth Management Act Periodic Update. We post checklists, guidance documents and other GMA related support materials here on a regular basis to help local governments with their reviews.
Periodic Update Workshop Schedule
The 2025 Workshop Series kicks off on June 14, 2023!
In support of the upcoming periodic updates and in partnership with Thurston Regional Planning Council and the Municipal Research and Services Center, the next workshop series focuses on jurisdictions with periodic updates due in 2025.
Registration is currently open for this online webinar. The event takes place on June 14, 2023 from 9:30 AM to noon. See the workshop flyer (PDF) for more details.
Past session videos from the 2024 workshop series hosted by Puget Sound Regional Council (PSRC) can be found on the PSRC website.
Periodic Update Resources
Every county and city in the state is required to conduct a periodic update of its comprehensive plan and development regulations, though the obligation varies depending on whether the jurisdiction is fully or partially planning (RCW 36.70A.130(1)). Growth Management Services provides resources for completing the periodic update.
- New – Video of Comprehensive Plan presentation to Clark County – 2023 (Video)
- New – Frequently Asked Questions on the Periodic Update – 2022 (PDF)
- New – GMA Update Schedule Map – 2023 (PDF)
- New – GMA Regional Planning Variations Map – 2022 (PDF)
- New – A Guide to the Periodic Update for Fully Planning Jurisdictions – 2022 (PDF)
- New – Quick Guide to Washington State Agencies – 2023 (PDF)
Critical Areas Regulations Checklist
Good Examples of Comprehensive Plans and Development Regulations
- Capital Facilities Plan: City of Wenatchee (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan: City of Des Moines (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan: Grays Harbor County (partially planning)
- Comprehensive Plan: City of West Richland (PDF)
- Housing Action Plan: City of Leavenworth
- Deadline Extension request: City of Mercer Island (PDF)
- Work program: City of Tumwater (PDF)
- Scope of Work: San Juan County (PDF)
- Findings of Fact and Resolution: Spokane County (bidId)
- Findings of Fact and Resolution: Pacific County (PDF)
Periodic Update Status
Counties and cities must be up-to-date with the requirements of the GMA, including the periodic update requirements, to be eligible for grants and loans from certain state infrastructure programs. Growth Management Services maintains a list of local governments’ periodic update status and GMHB orders to help applicants and funding programs implement this requirement. When you take legislative action that meets your update requirement, make sure you send the adopting ordinance or legislation to Commerce, clearly identifying it as part of the update. This will allow Commerce to keep information about your city or county complete and up to date.
For more information and to see a list of jurisdictions, please read the GMA Periodic Update and GMHB Status Report (PDF).
The Status Report is advisory and is based on the most recent information available to Commerce on the date it is published. If you believe the information on the report is not accurate, please contact William Simpson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Governor’s Smart Communities Awards Program
GMA Laws and Rules
GMA Periodic Update
Growth Management Grants
Growth Management Topics
Guidebooks and Resources
Defense Community Compatibility
Regional Planners’ Forums
Short Course on Local Planning
Submitting Materials to the State for Review