Clean buildings are essential to meeting our state energy goals. In 2019 the Clean Buildings bill was signed into law and later expanded in 2022. The objective is to lower costs and pollution from fossil fuel consumption in the state’s existing covered buildings and multifamily buildings. The law also provides incentives to encourage building owners to make energy efficiency improvements earlier than required. Learn more about the Clean Buildings Performance Standards.
How to Comply
Building owners and their teams may not know where to start. Visit the How to Comply page to learn more about the steps to get started.
Frequently Asked Questions
Browse or search our Frequently Asked Questions. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, send a question or comment to our staff by emailing Buildings@Commerce.wa.gov.
Clean Buildings Library
Get fact sheets, flowcharts, quick reference guides and other information about the Clean Buildings Performance Standard.
Customer Support and Resources
Find resources from Commerce and other organizations that support compliance, including a directory of qualified persons and qualified energy auditors that may be able to assist you in compliance.
Clean Buildings Portal
The Clean Buildings Portal is a database of all Tier 1 buildings and provides building owners a secure system to manage their building’s compliance with the Clean Buildings Performance Standard and submit applications to the Early Adopter Incentive Program.
Early Adopter Incentive Program
The Early Adopter Incentive Program is available to qualified building owners interested in early compliance with the Clean Buildings Performance Standard. Learn more about the qualifications and application process.
Updates and Events
Clean Buildings Tier 2 Rulemaking Workshop Schedule
Commerce is asking building owners to participate in the rulemaking process for the state’s expanded Clean Buildings Performance Standard. The expansion applies to buildings between 20,000 and 50,000 square feet, adding a new second tier that includes multi-family buildings. We are hosting a series of workshops to establish rules, reporting requirements and the financial incentive program for Tier 2 buildings. Dates and topics may be subject to change and are scheduled to take place from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. each day.
- Register for the May 18, 2023, Workshop – Customer outreach, technical support, and energy benchmarking
- Register for the June 15, 2023, Workshop – Energy Management Plan and the Operation and Maintenance (O&M) Program
- Register for the July 13, 2023, Workshop – Tier 2 Incentive Program, administrative rules and reporting requirements, and Tier 1 amendments
- Register for the August 24, 2023, Workshop – Cumulative Review
Past Workshop Materials
SB 5722 Rulemaking
Pre-Rulemaking Webinar: Introduction to the Clean Buildings Expansion – April 13, 2023
Emergency Rule Hearing: Request to Extend Window for Building Owners to Apply for Exemption – May 09, 2023
- May 9, 2023 Emergency rule hearing comment summary (PDF)
- May 9, 2023 Emergency rule hearing recording (on YouTube)
Workshop: Customer Outreach, Technical Support and Energy Benchmarking – May 18, 2023
- Proposed benchmarking language (Word)
- Comment Form for the May 18, 2023 Workshop
- Agenda for the May 18, 2023 Workshop (PDF)
- Rulemaking Workshop Recording – Tier 2 Buildings: Outreach, Technical Support & Energy Benchmarking (on YouTube)
- Rulemaking Workshop Slidedeck – Tier 2 Buildings: Outreach, Technical Support & Energy Benchmarking (PDF)
Submit any questions or support requests using the Customer Support Form.
Download the Clean Buildings Performance Standard – Integrated Document (form)