Are you homeless or about to become homeless? Click here to connect to a Local Coordinated Entry program.Click here for information for homeless service and affordable housing grantees If you are a homeless shelter provider seeking assistance with the COVID-19 outbreak, please contact your local Emergency Operations Center.
HMIS is used by state and federally funded homeless and housing service providers to collect and manage data gathered during the course of providing housing assistance to people already experiencing homelessness and to households at risk of losing their housing.
- Explanation of Washington’s HMIS (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions About HMIS (PDF)
- WA State Legislative website – HMIS consent law: Washington homeless client management information system (RCW 43.185C.180)
Our Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) trainings are intended for staff working for agencies already set up with HMIS access through the Department of Commerce. If your agency is not using HMIS yet, but is interested in or planning to do so, please read the Frequently Asked Questions about HMIS (PDF). Before registering for training, please read the HMIS Training Catalog for pre-training requirements. Register for trainings using the HMIS Training Registration Calendar. Trainings are updated frequently.
Please review the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) Training Catalog before registering for trainings using the HMIS Training Registration Calendar and HMIS Training FAQ (PDF). Commerce trainings are free of charge. You may take as many trainings as you like and retake trainings.
- HMIS Agency Partner Agreement – Updated 6/7/2018 (PDF)
- HMIS Informed Consent Form – Updated 6/7/2018 (PDF)
- HMIS Consent Form in Spanish – Updated 6/26/2018 (PDF)
- HMIS Interagency Data Sharing Agreement (PDF)
- HMIS Client Revocation of Consent Form – Updated 6/7/2018 (PDF)
- HMIS Client Revocation of Consent Form in Spanish – Updated 6/26/2018 (PDF)
- HMIS Client Privacy Rights -Notice of Uses & Disclosures (Word)
- HMIS User Policy Example – Updated 6/7/2018 (PDF) (The actual agreement is an electronic form in HMIS.)
Sample Forms / Templates
- 2019 PATH & STR HMIS Data Standard Changes Guide
- 2019 Youth Programs HMIS Data Standard Changes Guide
- HMIS Guidance for Domestic Violence and Consent Refused Providers (PDF)
- Consent Refused Client Profile Creation Guide (PDF)
- Clarity HMIS Help Portal (website)
- Learn Excel – Resources List (PDF)
- HMIS Basic Steps Cheat sheet (PDF)
- Rapid Re-Housing: Project & Housing Move-in Date Guide (PDF)
- Permanent Housing: Project & Housing Move-in Date Guide (PDF)
Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Data Standards:
HUD manuals to assist HMIS Lead Agencies and Continuums of Care (CoCs) to correctly set up projects in HMIS can be found on each of these HUD webpages:
- Clarity Management Reports Details/Crosswalk (PDF)
- Clarity Annual Performance Report (APR) Instructions 2017 (PDF)
- Our web-based public portal provides one-stop information on homelessness assistance, spending, and performance via Tableau dashboard and informational graphics.
Statewide HMIS data is used to produce several reports and publications using aggregated (containing no identifying client information) data. HMIS data is cross-match with DSHS and other state agency data through DSHS RDA. HMIS client data is not to be used for any other purpose except research and aggregate reporting.
Search for relevant DSHS RDA reports on the FFA Research and Data Analysis page. Tip: search for the subject “Homelessness.”
DSHS-HMIS Analysis of Matched Data Published Reports:
Consolidated Homeless Grant
Annual Point in Time Count
Continuum of Care
Emergency Solutions Grant
Tenant-Based Rental Assistance (TBRA)
HUD Section 811 Rental Assistance
Homeless Student Stability Program (HSSP)
Homeless Management Information System (HMIS)
Homeless System Performance
Office of Homeless Youth
Homeless Services Grantee Training
HMIS Technical Assistance
Our HMIS Technical Assistance (TA) Staff (PDF) are available to help with your HMIS database needs.
HMIS TA Help Desk
HMIS TA & Trainings
Advanced HMIS TA & Data Integration
Analytics and Visualization Manager
Data Quality and Reports Analyst
Federal Programs and HMIS Data Systems Manager