Homeless Management Information System
State and federally-funded homeless and housing service providers use HMIS to collect and manage data gathered while providing housing assistance to people already experiencing homelessness and households at risk of losing their housing.
HMIS Training Requirements
Introduction to HMIS Training
Our Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) trainings are intended for staff working for agencies already set up with HMIS access through the Department of Commerce. Before registering for training, please read the HMIS Training & Approval instructions (PDF) and the HMIS Training Catalog (PDF) for pre-training requirements.
HMIS Training Registration & New Users
To apply for HMIS Training access, fill out our HMIS Training & Account Request application. Please read our HMIS Training & Approval instructions before filling it out. You will need to provide the agencies and counties you will use HMIS for, the names of approvers (ex. supervisor), and know what project types for which you will use HMIS. You can look up your agency programs using our Agency Look Up Dashboard. If your agency has not yet applied to use HMIS and doesn’t already have HMIS access, please contact HMIS@commerce.wa.gov to find out how your agency can apply for HMIS access.
HMIS Training Catalog and FAQ
Please review the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) Training Catalog (PDF) and HMIS Training FAQ (PDF) before registering for HMIS training. Both documents explain HMIS Training requirements, who needs training, and more.
- HMIS Agency Partner Agreement- Updated 8/18/2022 (PDF)
- HMIS Informed Consent Form – Updated 6/7/2018 (PDF)
- HMIS Consent Form in Spanish – Updated 6/26/2018 (PDF)
- HMIS Interagency Data Sharing Agreement (PDF)
- HMIS Revocation of Consent Process for Teleworkers (PDF)
- HMIS Client Revocation of Consent Form – Updated 6/7/2018 (PDF)
- HMIS Client Revocation of Consent Form in Spanish – Updated 6/26/2018 (PDF)
- HMIS Client Privacy Rights -Notice of Uses & Disclosures (Word)
- HMIS User Policy Example – Updated 6/7/2018 (PDF) (The actual agreement is an electronic form in HMIS.)
- HMIS Data Suppression Guidance (PDF)
- HMIS Night-by-Night (NBN) Guide (PDF)
- Youth and Young Adults Data and Performance Contacts (PDF)
- 2019 PATH & STR HMIS Data Standard Changes Guide
- 2019 Youth Programs HMIS Data Standard Changes Guide
- HMIS Guidance for Domestic Violence and Consent Refused Providers (PDF)
- Consent Refused Client Profile Creation Guide (PDF)
- Clarity HMIS Help Portal
- HMIS Basic Steps Cheatsheet (PDF)
- Rapid Re-Housing: Project & Housing Move-in Date Guide (PDF)
- Permanent Housing: Project & Housing Move-in Date Guide (PDF)
Data Standards and Program Manuals
Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Data Standards:
HUD manuals to assist HMIS Lead Agencies and Continuums of Care (CoCs) in correctly setting up projects in HMIS can be found on each of these HUD webpages:
- Data Quality Report Resources Info Sheet
- Clarity Management Reports Details/Crosswalk (PDF)
- Clarity Annual Performance Report (APR) Instructions 2022 (PDF)
- Our web-based public portal provides one-stop information on homelessness assistance, spending, and performance via Tableau dashboard and informational graphics.
DSHS - HMIS Matched Data Analysis
Explanation of Commerce’s partnership with the Department of Social and Health Services (PDF)
Statewide HMIS data is used to produce several reports and publications using aggregated (containing no identifying client information) data. HMIS data is cross-match with DSHS and other state agency data through DSHS RDA. HMIS client data is not to be used for any other purpose except research and aggregate reporting.
Search for relevant DSHS RDA reports on the FFA Research and Data Analysis page. Tip: search for the subject “Homelessness.”
DSHS-HMIS Analysis of Matched Data Published Reports:
- Love Your Data HMIS Newsletter – May 2023
- Love Your Data HMIS Newsletter – February 2023
- Love Your Data HMIS Newsletter – November 2022
- Love Your Data HMIS Newsletter – August 2022
- Love Your Data HMIS Newsletter – May 2022
- Love Your Data HMIS Newsletter – February 2022
- Love Your Data HMIS Newsletter – November 2021
- Love Your Data HMIS Newsletter – September 2021
- Love Your Data HMIS Newsletter – May 2021
- Love Your Data HMIS Newsletter – February 2021
- Love Your Data HMIS Newsletter – November 2020
- Love Your Data HMIS Newsletter – September 2020
- Love Your Data HMIS Newsletter – February 2020
- Love Your Data HMIS Newsletter – December 2019
Newsletter Article Archives
- Consolidated Homeless Grant
- Annual Point in Time Count
- Continuum of Care
- Emergency Solutions Grant
- Tenant-Based Rental Assistance (TBRA)
- HUD Section 811 Rental Assistance
- Homeless Student Stability Program (HSSP)
- Homeless Management Information System (HMIS)
- Homeless System Performance
- Office of Homeless Youth
- Homeless Councils
- Homeless Services Grantee Training
Need HMIS help? Submit your HMIS help requests using the Help Desk Ticket Form.
- Meet the HMIS Team Members (PDF)
- HMIS Technical Assistance Staff is not available on official state holidays.
Your feedback is important to us. Take our quick survey and let us know what you think. Links will redirect you to Surveymonkey.
Thank you for your feedback.