May 2019 Update on Clean Energy Fund Programs
The Research, Development and Demonstration (RD&D) grant awards will tentatively be announced by May 31.
The Grid Modernization Program is awarding grants to four projects. Pending final contract negotiations, the awardees are:
- Avista Utilities—Eco-district Grid Modernization Project
- Orcas Power and Light—Lopez Village Adaptive Micro-grid with Hybrid Storage Project
- Puget Sound Energy— The Smart Capacity Analysis, Learning and Engagement Project
- Tacoma Power—Liquid Air Energy Storage Project
Grants range from $1 – $3 million and must be matched by the utilities and their project partners at a minimum one-to-one ratio.
Electrification of Transportation Systems (ETS) The ETS comment period ended April 5. Over 60 people attended the information meeting in person or by remote access on April 3, and more than 100 responses were received. We are excited about the level of engagement and are working to review every comment. A summary of all comments will be published after review. Updates on the ETS program will be shared when available.
Energy Efficiency & Solar (EE&S) applications are still under review. The budgets have passed but are at different levels. Commerce will move forward with the next round of funding. Timelines and details are not available at this time.
The Solar Deployment Program awarded $1.6 million to three projects that advance solar development in Washington. The awardees are:
- One Energy Development for the Sunnyside Solar project, near Sunnyside, WA. They are also providing a five-year grant to the NW Community Action Center in Toppenish for weatherization assistance to low-income households.
- Peninsula Light Company for a solar project on the Gig Harbor Peninsula.
- TUUSSO Energy for the Urtica solar panel power project in Ellensburg, WA.
The Solar Deployment Program webpage is temporarily unavailable. The 2019 capital budget includes changes to requirements of the program. Once new guidelines have been developed to meet the requirements of these revisions, the program webpage will be updated.