Electrification of Transportation Systems Program - Clean Energy Fund (CEF)
This grant fund is for the continued transformation of the electric transportation market in Washington State. The Electrification of Transportation Systems Program (ETS) provides grants to Washington local governments, Tribal Governments, and retail electric utilities for electric vehicle charging infrastructure.
The Electrification of Transportation Systems Grant is now open for application
The Electrification of Transportation Systems (ETS) Grant supports eligible applicants in their respective electrification goals and address barriers to infrastructure deployment.
The ETS grant program is designed to promote the continued transformation of the electric transportation market in Washington state. This program provides grants to Washington local governments, Tribal Governments, and retail electric utilities for infrastructure to charge electric vehicles. An emphasis for this program is placed on addressing the needs of highly impacted communities and vulnerable populations, particularly those disproportionately impacted by climate change and pollution from transportation systems.
Commerce is now accepting applications for this competitive grant with up to $10.67 million available. Eligible applicants may partner with any organization type.
Eligible applicants are local governments, Tribal Governments and electric utilities. Projects have to serve at least one of the following:
- Public Transportation
- Local or Tribal Government Fleet Vehicles
- Workplace Charging
- Multi-Unit Dwelling (MUD) Resident Charging (Note: EVSE that exclusively or primarily serves residential buildings that are not Multi-Unit dwellings will not be considered)
- Public Charging
- Port – Marine or Aircraft
Grant Program Materials
Please Note: The Application deadline for the active ETS solicitation has passed for Local Government and Retail Electric Utility applicants. The mandatory Letter of Intent deadline for Federally Recognized Tribal Governments has also passed. Federally Recognized Tribal Governments have until the deadline listed in Section 2.2 of the Request for Applications to develop and submit their applications. Only applicants that have submitted a Letter of Intent by the applicable deadline are eligible to submit applications for the award.
- Request for Applications (Revised 4-6-2020)
- Online Application Portal
- Letter of Intent Template (Also available on Application Portal) (Revised 4-6-2020)
- Project Site Information Template (Also available on Application Portal)
- Application Process Survey (Also available on Application Portal)
- ETS Q&A Through 6-30-2020
Please sign up for our email list to receive updates about this program.
Pre-Application Conference 2 Details
A new pre-application conference was held on April 16, 2020, providing an updated summary of the ongoing solicitation and providing an opportunity for applicant Q&A.
Pre-Application Conference Details
A previous pre-application conference for interested stakeholders and Tribal partners was held on February 20, 2020. This conference was not mandatory.
Please note: some information contained in the below recording may no longer be accurate due to changes in the eligibility of Federally Recognized Tribal Governments. Applicants should refer back to the Request for Applications linked above for the most up-to-date program information.
- Proviso in Section 6003 of bill SSB 6248
- State Energy Office
- Electric Drive Washington
- Energy RD&D Grants (CEF)
- Energy Revolving Loan Grants (CEF)
- Grid Modernization (CEF)
- Energy Emergencies
- Clean Technology Industry Sector
- Energy Efficiency and Solar Grants
- State Energy Strategy (pdf)
- Governor Inslee’s Executive Order 20-01 (pdf)
Program Advisory Committee
- Austin Brown UC Davis Policy Institute
- Brad Cebulko WA Utilities and Transp. Commission
- Brett Rude WA State Dept. of Ecology
- Jane Wall WA State Association of Counties
- Jim Jensen WSU Energy Program
- Joshua Berger WA Dept. of Commerce
- Karen Dunn WA Dept. of Commerce
- Logan Bahr Association of Washington Cities
- Mike Shahan WA Office of Supt of Public Instr.
- Nicolas Garcia WA Public Utility Districts Assn.
- Tonia Buell WA State Dept. of Transportation
Contact: Forrest Watkins
For more information about the ETS program and other Clean Energy Fund grants, please contact Forrest Watkins or send an email to CEF@commerce.wa.gov
If you are interested in hosting a meeting about alternative fuel transportation or other related Commerce programs, please contact Michael Breish at Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org.