Office of Homeless Youth Committees and Workgroup
The Office of Homeless Youth works with various stakeholders across the state to address youth homelessness. The work group and committee listed encompass agencies and key stakeholders that are charged to reduce and end youth homelessness.
Interagency Work Group on Youth Homelessness
Gov. Inslee established the Interagency Work Group on Youth Homelessness (IAWG) with directive 17-01, signed on Jan. 24, 2017. The workgroup convenes state agency partners to develop shared goals, outcomes, and action plans to prevent and design system response to youth homelessness in Washington.
- Kim Justice, Office of Homeless Youth
- Sherrie Flores, Children’s Administration/DSHS
- Cristi Devers, Juvenile Rehabilitation/DSHS
- Vazaskia Crockrell, Office of Juvenile Justice/DSHS
- David Stillman and Theresa Slusher, Economic Services Administration/DSHS
- Diana Cockrell, Division of Behavior Health and Recovery/DSHS
- Colette Jones, Health Care AuthorityMarie Bruin, Employment Security Department
- Patrick Woods, Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board
- Troy Goracke, State Board of Community and Technical Colleges
- Rachel Sharpe and Becky Thompson, Student Achievement Council
- Carri Gordon, Washington State Patrol
- Ed Prince, Commission on African American Affairs
- Lisa van der Lugt, Commission on Hispanic Affairs
- Vacant, Commission on Indian Affairs
- Nam Nguyen, Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs
- Jess Lewis, Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
- George Yeannakis, Office of Public Defense
- Dr. Carl McCurley, Administrative Office of the Courts
- Jim Mayfield, Research and Data Analysis/DSHS
- TBD, Department of Children, Youth and Families
The work of the office is guided by a 12-member advisory committee composed of advocates, legislators, law enforcement, service providers, and other stakeholders. Except for legislative members, advisory committee members are appointed by the Governor.
Rep. Lisa Callan (D) – 5th Legislative District
Bridget Cannon, senior VP of youth services, Volunteers of America
Sergeant Ritchie Fowler, Yakima Police Department
Rep. Greg Gilday (R) – 10th Legislative District
Melinda Giovengo, director, YouthCare
Katie Joannes, parent advocate
Katara Jordan, senior manager, Building Changes
Sen. Joe Nguyen (D) – 34th Legislative District
Lynsey Romero, youth advisory board chair, Spokane
Casey Trupin, director, Youth Homelessness, Raikes Foundation
Do You Need Help?
If you or someone you know needs assistance, you can find help by using the 211 Washington Information Network.
If you are a young person who is thinking about running away or already has, you can talk to someone confidentially at the National Runaway Safeline: 1-800-RUNAWAY or 1-800-786-2929
News and Announcements
Office of Homeless Youth Staff
Statewide Initiatives Manager