Program Overview

Evictions have proven to be a leading cause of new cases of homelessness throughout Washington. The Tenancy Prevention Program benefits both landlord and tenant by maintaining the tenancy. This prevents landlords from facing vacancy and turn over losses while preventing an eviction that would create barriers in the tenant’s ability to find and rent future housing.

Washington State’s Tenancy Preservation Program (2019 amendments to RCW 59.18.410(3) and 43.31.605(c)) became effective on June 29th, 2019  The program reduces homelessness by providing relief to low-income tenants facing eviction for non-payment of rent.   In court-approved cases, Commerce will issue a temporary loan to landlords to preserve tenancy.  Tenants have up to 90 days to repay the loan.

Review the
Frequently Asked Questions or the RCW 43.60.605 document for more details.

Who Can Submit a Claim?

All private and non-profit landlords that offer rental housing within the State of Washington qualify for the Tenancy Preservation Program. A court ordered agreement is required to successfully submit a claim application.

Review the
Frequently Asked Questions document for more details.

How to Qualify for the Tenancy Preservation Program

A court ordered agreement is required to successfully submit a claim application. To obtain a court ordered agreement, both landlord and tenant must appear in person at the Superior Court in the rental property’s district and request either of the following:

  • Stipulated Payment Agreement, or
  • Tenancy Preservation Funding Agreement

A Stipulated Payment Agreement is a document outlining due-dates for repayment of past-due rent to a landlord. If the tenant makes all payments on time, their tenancy is preserved. If the tenant fails to meet the requirements of this agreement, the landlord may submit an application for assistance from the program to preserve tenancy. If the tenant has vacated or has provided the landlord with notice to vacate the housing, the claim will be denied.

A court ordered Tenancy Preservation Funding Agreement is a document outlining an agreement between the landlord, tenant and presiding Judge. The document states that the tenant is capable of repayment within ninety days any funds awarded from the Department of Commerce to the landlord. The repayment of this agreement will be made by the tenant to the Superior Court.

Review the Frequently Asked Questions document for more details.

Documents Required for Claim Submission

The following documents and information are required for claim submission. Please collect all documents prior to attempting to submit a claim:

  1. Statewide Vendor Identification (Payee) number.
  2. Executed and current Rental Agreement.
  3. Stipulate Payment Agreement or Tenancy Preservation Funding Agreement executed by all parties including the Superior Court Judge.
  4. Current and current tenant ledger reflecting all charges included in the agreement.
  5. Tenant Acknowledgement Form or Landlord Acknowledgement of Absentee Tenant Form. Commerce will attempt to verify tenancy and payments of claims where an Absentee Form is used.
  6. Landlord and Tenant Names, Addresses and contact information. Tenant date-of-birth is also required.
  7. Superior Court case number.
  8. Agreement amount (less any payments made prior to claim).