Due to the high claim volume in each program, claim responses may be delayed several days, and payments may not be received for multiple months. Claims are paid in order received, then approved. The approval email is your guarantee of payment. Please be sure to add emails from @commerce.wa.gov to your safe sender list.

Landlord Damage Relief Program

Program Overview

Washington state’s Landlord Mitigation Law (RCW 43.31.605) became effective on June 7th of 2018 to provide landlords with an incentive and added security to work with tenants receiving rental assistance. The program offers up to $1,000 to the landlord in reimbursement for some potentially required move-in upgrades, up to fourteen days’ rent loss and up to $5,000 in qualifying damages caused by a tenant during tenancy. 

Read Frequently Asked Questions about the program for more information.  

Who Can Submit a Claim?

Any landlord that has screened, approved and offered rental housing to any applicant that will be using any form of housing subsidy program is eligible, except properties operated by housing authorities.

Read Frequently Asked Questions about the program for more information. 

How to Qualify for the Landlord Mitigation Program

Commerce will approve and pay claims as quickly as possible. However, failing to provide proper documentation to satisfy the requirements below may cause claims to be denied. Please have the following documents prepared to scan and submit with a claim submission. We will not pursue documentation. If we do not receive all required documents and any other supporting evidence, the claim will be denied and will need to be resubmitted placing the claim at the bottom of the queue. Appeals for any other reason will only be permitted if a judgment for damages is obtained.

Important note: Any post-move in claim will prohibit the landlord (or any agency on the landlord’s behalf) from pursuing legal action for additional monies owed from the tenant at any time in the future. 

For a complete review of the law, please visit RCW 43.31.605.

Documents required for damage and/or rent loss claims:
1) Obtain a Washington Statewide Vendor Identification Number.
2) An executed written Rental Agreement between the landlord and the tenant(s).
3) A Rental Assistance Agreement (or adequate proof of housing assistance).
4) A Rental Assistance Inspection Report from a subsidy program.
5) A completed Move-In Condition Report (this is not a Rental Assistance Inspection Report) signed and dated by both Landlord and Tenant(s).
6) A Tenant ledger showing any unpaid portion of rent and other charges being claimed and application of Security Deposit (if post-move out).
7) Notices related to unpaid charges.
8) Photos of damage and photos of the affected area following repairs.10) Copies of all repair invoices for damages that are included on the claim.
9) Complete the entire claim submission form.
10) Read 
Frequently Asked Questions about the program for more information. 



Landlord Mitigation Fund Links

Program Contact

Nicholas Yuva