The Washington State Department of Commerce’s Export Voucher program, funded in part through a Grant with the U.S. Small Business Administration’s (SBA) State Trade Expansion Program (STEP), offers qualified companies new to exporting or expanding into new export markets up to $5,000 for export-related expenses (a minimum 25% cash match is required).
Are you Eligible?
Qualifying companies must:
- Be registered to do business in Washington State
- Have a Federal Identification Number tied to a Washington address
- Be in good standing with the Washington State Department of Revenue
- Be a small business concern (SBC) as defined by SBA criteria, and meet other program criteria, such as being in business for at least one year and ability to demonstrate export readiness
- Submit an application at least one month before the planned export activity
Qualifying Export Expenses
The following types of programs and expenses are eligible for an Export Voucher:
- Basic economy class airfare (compliant with the Fly America Act)
- Trade show fee
- Trade mission fees
- Payment of website fees for translation, SEO, and localization (capped at $3000)
- Shipping of samples (capped at $2000)
- Compliance testing an existing product for entry into an export market (capped at $2000)
- Services from the US Commercial Service
See the Export Voucher Program Guidelines for complete details.
Links and Resources
More than 350 companies have used export vouchers to offset their exporting expenses. From mobile app developers and wakeboard manufacturers to remanufactured engine specialists and turnkey metalworkers, Washington State small businesses brought home more than $589 million in new export sales with assistance from this popular program, State Trade Expansion Program (STEP), funded in part through a Grant with the U.S. Small Business Administration.