Located in downtown Seattle, Commerce’s Office of Economic Development & Competitiveness (OEDC) recruits students for volunteer internship positions on an ongoing basis. Typical interns hold at least college junior status. Students currently in graduate school are preferred.
We ask that interns volunteer 12–15 hours per week for a minimum of three months. Internships are in our Seattle office, in a professional office environment.
In general, we look for responsible, reliable candidates who can work independently and have a genuine interest in economic development, business development, marketing, international affairs and trade. We value writing ability, critical thinking, foreign language capabilities and diversity. Other qualities we look for include:
- Ability to work independently
- Attention to detail
- Ability to learn and work comfortably with technology
- Experience organizing events
- Writing experience, especially on a newspaper or newsletter
Previous and current intern projects include:
- High profile events such as Governor international trade missions
- Washington Export Initiative programs
- Collaboration with trade development partners
- Export documentation
- Marketing communications, including editing, writing, web content development
- Company research & trade statistics
- Client projects
- Quality control
Past interns have gone on to work with consulting firms, economic development agencies, and international organizations.
To apply, please fill out the application form and press send. Then separately, email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Foreign students are eligible to apply.
Contact the Office of Economic Development & Competitiveness at (206) 256-6100.