Internship Openings in the Office of Economic Development and Competitiveness in Seattle
The Washington State Department of Commerce, Office of Economic Development and Competitiveness office in downtown Seattle recruits volunteer interns on an ongoing basis based on need. We currently have a need in the Business Recruitment, Retention and Expansion Unit, and we ask that interns volunteer 10-20 hours per week, for a minimum term of three months.
Ideal candidates will be in their junior or senior year in college with a 3.3 GPA or higher, or have recently completed their degree, or be enrolled in a master’s degree program.
In general, we look for responsible, reliable candidates who can work independently and have a genuine interest in international affairs, economic development, investment and trade. We value research and writing skills, Microsoft Office suite proficiency, critical thinking, foreign language capabilities and diversity.
Other qualities we look for include:
- Ability to work independently.
- Attention to detail.
- Experience organizing events.
- Writing experience, especially on a newspaper or newsletter.
- Database, Excel, PowerPoint proficiency.
Examples of duties/projects include:
- Assisting with business development activities and events.
- Researching industries, business trends, incentives, investment statistics, workforce data.
- Writing briefs and other content.
- Marketing communications, PowerPoint presentations and related research.
- Assisting on specific projects.
- Quality control.
Past interns have gone on to work with local consulting firms, tech and aerospace companies, economic development agencies, federal trade agencies and international organizations.
To apply, send a current resume and cover letter to Mary Ferguson at firstname.lastname@example.org, AND also fill out the online application form at: http://www.commerce.wa.gov/growing-the-economy/business-development/internship-openings/