Gov. Inslee's "Stay Home Stay Healthy" proclamation deemed lead classes to be essential business activities.

Therefore, we are allowing in-person classes to resume. The training classes are required to follow the workplace safety guidance from the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries to host the classes. However, if you are uncomfortable attending a class, you may still apply for an individual extension of your certification by contacting Cynthia Sanderson at or by phone (360) 725-2941. For RRP renovators only: if your renovator certification would normally expire between March 1 and August 31, 2020, your new extended expiration date is September 30, 2020. Please consider using our approved on-line refresher training at Pro Tech or Real Estate Training 4U. You can call Pro Tech at (360) 359-1431 or Real Estate Training 4U at (877) 755-2121. For your firm application to be processed, you must have at least one employee that holds a valid and current renovator certificate. The Department of Commerce is furloughed on the following days: June 29, 2020, July 10, 2020, July 17, 2020, and July 24, 2020. Our offices are closed on those dates.

Lead-Based Paint in Washington State Homes

Lead-Based Paint Programs

The Department of Commerce regulates certification, accreditation, enforcement and compliance for firms and individuals who must use lead-safe work practices when working on pre-1978 homes or child-occupied facilities.

Commerce administers two programs related to lead-based paint: the Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) program, and the Lead-Based Paint Abatement (LBP) program.

Are you, or do you want to become a certified renovator?

Do you want to certify your company as an RRP firm to be able to perform lead-based paint activities?

If you receive compensation to perform work on any residential property or child-occupied facility built before 1978, then you must be an RRP Certified Renovator with a firm certification, or you must work for a certified firm.

Are you, or do you want to become a lead-based paint worker, supervisor, inspector, risk assessor, or project designer?

Do you want to certify your company as a lead-based paint abatement company?

Lead abatement is an activity designed to reduce or eliminate lead-based paint hazards. The Lead-Based Paint Abatement Program governs individuals who perform lead-based abatement, supervision of abatement, inspection, or risk assessment. These certifications are required mainly to determine if there is lead-based paint or lead hazards present in pre-1978 residential homes or pre-1978 child-occupied facilities, or when investigating elevated blood lead levels in children, or for government-funded housing projects.