Limited Landlord Relief Program

Program Overview

Washington’s Limited Landlord Relief Program offers owners of six or fewer properties (each rental unit counts as a property) who make less than the Family Median Income the ability to recuperate up to 80% of the unpaid rental payments where tenants are non-communicative or unqualified for the Eviction Rental Assistance Program where the unpaid rents occurred between March 1, 2020, to six months after the end of the Eviction Moratorium.  This program is limited to pay no more than $2 million in total claims.

Who Can Submit a Claim?

Any Claimant that meets all of the criteria below may submit a claim:

  • The property owner is the sole investor in the property associated with the claim. Married Co-Owners are considered sole investors. Ownership must be personal and not that of a professional organization.
  • Property owner income is at or below the local Family Median Income defined by the US Administration of Housing and Urban Development. To determine Family Median Income for your area, please review this document and compare your Adjusted Gross Income on the most recent tax return.
  • The tenant identified in the claim must have rent in arrears between March 1, 2020, and six months following the end of the Eviction Moratorium.
  • Own six or fewer properties.

How to Qualify for the Limited Landlord Relief Program

Commerce will review, approve and pay claims as quickly as possible. However, failing to provide proper documentation to satisfy the requirements below may cause claims to be denied. Please have the following documents scanned to attach to your claim. We will request missing documentation but cannot make exceptions for documents that are not available. If we do not receive all required documents and other requested supporting evidence, the claim will not be approved.

Priority is given to landlords where the tenant is non-communicative or ineligible for the Eviction Rental Assistance Program.

Important note: Any approved and paid claim will prohibit the landlord (or any agency on the landlord’s behalf) from pursuing legal action for additional monies owed from the tenant at any time in the future.

Documents required for damage and/or rent loss claims:

  • Obtain a Washington Statewide Vendor Identification number
  • An executed written Rental Agreement between the Landlord and the Tenant(s)
  • A Tenant ledger showing any unpaid portion of their rent
  • The property owner’s most current (2019 or 2020) personal Tax Return cover page or tax form page showing the Adjusted Gross Income. Please do not include the entire tax return packet and redact social security number(s).
  • Complete the entire claim submission form found here.

Program Links

Limited Landlord Relief Program Links

Applications are paid based on the date and time received and approved. Commerce will only pay claims when resources are available.

Statewide Vendor ID Number
Public Disclosure Act, Chapter 42.56

Program Contact

Nicholas Yuva

Program Data