Community Development Block Grant – Coronavirus Funds (CDBG-CV)
What are CARES Act CDBG-CV funds?
The federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) has allocated 38M in supplemental CDBG-Coronavirus (CDBG-CV) funds through the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to the state CDBG program at Commerce.
Who will receive CDBG-CV funds from Commerce?
- $7M in CDBG-CV1 Grants is distributed on a population/LMI based formula to 27 locally-determined consortiums of rural CDBG nonentitlement city and county governments (cities with less than 50,000 population and not part of a CDBG entitlement urban county CDBG program; and counties with less than 200,000 in population excluding entitlement cities). CDBG-CV1 Grant awards are listed here.
- $15M in CDBG-CV2 Grants is available to CDBG entitlement and nonentitlement CDBG-CV1 recipients on a population/LMI based formula for locally-determined priority activities. The CDBG-CV2 distribution list is here; final awards will be determined once CDBG-CV2 applications are received and approved.
- $10.73M is funding COVID Hunger Relief Staffing & Services with eligible Employment Security Dept./Washington Service Corps and Washington’s Workforce Development Councils by employing 300 staff within food banks and senior nutrition programs across the state.
- $3M in COVID Prevent-Prepare-Respond (PPR) Grants is funding state, local, tribal and non-profit activities to address emerging priorities and leverage opportunities that focus on underserved and vulnerable communities facing COVID-19 public health, economic and social impacts.
Who is eligible for a CDBG-CV2 grant and for how much?
- All CDBG-CV1 grantees (CDBG entitlement and nonentitlement) are eligible to apply for a CDBG-CV2 grant.
- $15M in CDBG-CV2 Grants is available to CDBG entitlement and nonentitlement CDBG-CV1 recipients on a population/LMI based formula for locally-determined priority activities. The CDBG-CV2 distribution list is here.
- The CDBG-CV2 Entitlement Funding Detail spreadsheet can be found here.
- The CDBG-CV2 Nonentitlement Funding Detail spreadsheet can be found here.
How do eligible cities and counties apply for CDBG-CV2 funds?
- Invitations to complete a CDBG-CV2 grant application will be sent directly to eligible jurisdictions on April 1. Cities and counties applying for CDBG-CV2 funds should complete the application on Zoom Grants by April 30, 2021. Late applications may be accepted with CDBG approval.
- CDBG-CV2 can extend and expand CV1 (and CV3) funded activities for expedient use of funds. If new local priorities have emerged, CDBG-CV2 can fund any CDBG eligible activity to prevent, prepare for, or respond to the Coronavirus. See the CDBG-CV2 Eligible Activities Guide.
- Only ZoomGrants accounts and log-ins created by CDBG entitlement and nonentitlement CDBG-CV1 grantees (cities or counties) are valid for CDBG-CV2 application submission. Once the account is created, the eligible local government can invite collaborators to assist with completing the application.
- Additional information on using ZoomGrants can be found here.
- Recommendation: The applicant local government should determine whether they must schedule a CDBG public hearing, as they begin working on their application. See the CDBG-CV2 Citizen Participation Guide here.
- Slides of the 3/22/21 application webinar can be found here, CDBG-CV2 Application Webinar PowerPoint.
- Questions: Contact your current state CDBG-CV1 project manager or Jennifer Lewis, CDBG-CV Project Manager at email@example.com or 360.890.1048.
COVID HUNGER RELIEF STAFFING & SERVICES
COVID PREVENT-PREPARE-RESPOND (PPR) FUNDS
How do Washington State agencies, local governments, tribal government, and non-profit organizations apply for CDBG-CV PPR funds?
An initial $3 million is available for organizations and activities that address a statewide or regional priority endorsed by a state program. Eligible activities include public services, microenterprise assistance, facilities and planning outlined in the CDBG-CV2 Eligible Activities Guide, that focus on underserved and vulnerable communities facing COVID-19 public health, economic and social impacts. Activities must meet a CDBG national objective by principally benefiting low- and moderate-income (LMI) persons; or, in limited cases, addressing a certified urgent need. Funds that remain unobligated from other CDBG-CV grants may become available for additional PPR grants. Allowable PPR grants range from $30,000 to $1,250,000, depending on the type of activity. Project proposals will be considered on an ongoing, funds available basis. Funds must be expended by July 2023.
- Contact the CDBG-CV Section Manager to verify funds availability and eligibility
- Submit the CDBG-CV COVID PPR Project Proposal Funding Request Forms
How do people or businesses impacted by COVID-19 access the CDBG-CV assistance?
The state CDBG program funds local services and projects. The state CDBG program does not award direct grants for individuals or businesses. Contact your local government, community action program, or associate development organization to learn if CDBG-funded assistance or other resources are available, and the qualifications. CDBG assistance is for persons with low- and moderate-incomes, and microenterprises (small businesses with five or fewer employees, with one being the owner).
When do the funds begin and end?
Initial CDBG-CV funds may reimburse allowable costs for approved COVID-19 activities beginning March 27, 2020 (CARES Act authorization date). The funds must be expended in a timely manner to address immediate needs. The CDBG-CV contracts will establish the end date, which could extend to June 30, 2023.
Technical Assistance Resources
CDBG-CV Overview – English (PDF)
CDBG-CV1 Consortium Guide (PDF)
CDBG-CV1 Funding Request Worksheet (Excel)
CDBG-CV1 Eligible Activities Guide (PDF)
CRF and CDBG-CV Eligible Activities Comparison (PDF)
CDBG-CV1 Citizen Participation Guide (PDF)
CDBG-CV1 LMI and National Objectives Guide (PDF)
CDBG COVID-19 Microenterprise Assistance Guide (PDF)
CDBG COVID-19 Microenterprise Assistance Application and Verification Form (Word)
CDBG COVID-19 Microenterprise Assistance Agreement (Word)
CDBG COVID-19 Microenterprise Payment Detail Report (Excel)
CDBG COVID-19 Subsistence Payment Guide (PDF)
CDBG COVID-19 Subsistence Payment Application and Verification Form (Word)
CDBG COVID-19 Subsistence Payment Application and Verification Form (Spanish/Espanol) (Word).
CDBG COVID-19 Subsistence Payment Detail Report (Excel)
CDBG and CDBG-CV Management Handbook and Forms