Washington State Energy Office
Strategic Goal: Advance practical energy policies and support energy technology research, demonstration and deployment, partnering with private sectors to accelerate economic development and enhance environmental quality.
- Develop the State Energy Strategy to promote competitive energy prices, meet the state’s greenhouse gas reduction requirements and foster a clean energy economy.
- Administer the Clean Energy Fund, the Energy Efficiency and Solar Fund and several federal programs providing loans and grants to companies and individuals for smart grid, energy efficiency, renewable energy and clean energy research, development and deployment.
- Regional energy policy planning through membership in five western state groups.
- Produce energy analysis and information which includes legislative reports.
- State lead for energy supply and security planning and response during emergencies.
- Coordinate efforts to support economically viable and environmentally sustainable bio-energy development.
State Energy Office News
The Clean Energy Transformation Act (CETA) (SB 5116) was implemented in May 2019. It commits Washington to an electricity supply free of greenhouse gas emissions by 2045. CETA Rulemaking Commerce has submitted a Preproposal Statement of Inquiry (CR-101) to solicit public comments on CETA rulemaking. Rulemaking Workshop on August 22 Agenda, Webinar Option and Parking Information (pdf) Please RSVP: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RSVP0822 Two previous stakeholder workshops were hosted on July 30 and Aug. 1 to
Appliance efficiency standards represent a cost-effective strategy to protect consumers and businesses, strengthening the state’s clean energy economy. Efficiency products save energy and water, reduce long-term operating costs and cut greenhouse gas emissions. Seventeen new products have been added to state standards. Rules Development Commerce has submitted a Preproposal Statement of Inquiry (CR-101) to solicit public comment on the appliance standards rulemaking before they begin a formal process. The existing rules, WAC 194-24,
Fuel Mix Disclosure reporting has begun. The objective of the fuel mix disclosure process is to inform customers and policy makers about the characteristics of the electricity delivered by each utility to consumers and businesses. Most utilities use electricity from multiple sources, even if they operate their own power plants. In some cases, they obtain power without knowing the specific generation source. Utilities are providing the following information in megawatt-hours
On May 7, 2019, Governor Inslee signed into law House Bill 1257, commonly referred to as the Clean Buildings bill. The objective of this legislation is to lower costs and pollution from fossil fuel consumption in the state’s existing building stock, especially large commercial buildings. The law requires that Commerce develop and implement an energy performance standard for these buildings and provide incentives to encourage efficiency improvements. Commerce will use
The following programs are currently in the contract negotiation stage with awardees: Grid Modernization program Research, Development and Demonstration (RD&D) Energy Efficiency & Solar (EE&S) Grant funding received in the budget includes: Grants to Non-Profit Lenders Grid Modernization Grants RD&D Grants Shore Power Electrification Dairy Digester Advanced Nutrient Recovery Washington Maritime Innovation Center Offshore Ocean Wave Demonstration Shore Power Electrification The Electrification of Transportation Systems program will soon be issuing
Commerce announces notice of funding opportunity for Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions Reduction projects
The GHG Emissions Reduction Program is a grant program supported through Commerce’s Clean Energy Fund (CEF3) OLYMPIA, WA – The Washington State Department of Commerce is seeking proposals for the new Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions Reduction Program. The Washington State Legislature created the GHG Reduction grant program to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and protect or create aluminum manufacturing jobs in Whatcom County. GHG program-funded projects must provide a public benefit
2019 Clean Energy Legislation
Electric Utility Resources
- Washington Implementation Model: Washington’s Clean Energy Roadmap (PDF)
- Promoting Renewable Natural Gas in Washington State (PDF)
- Energy Emergencies
- PCC Benchmarking Policy Plan 2018 (DOC)
- 2019 Biennial Energy Report (PDF)
- Renewable Natural Gas Roadmap for WA State (PDF)
- Transportation and Fuels
- Electric Transportation in WA
- DSIRE Incentive Database (website)
- Power and Conservation Council (website)