Congress Working to Reauthorize the Weatherization Assistance Program
The U.S. Senate and House of Representatives both introduced bills in April to reauthorize the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP). The current authorization expired Sept. 30, 2012. H.R. 2041, The Weatherization Enhancement and Local Energy Efficiency Investment and Accountability Act has a number of updates that will acknowledge the changing goals and landscape of weatherization.
Some of the updates are below:
- Reauthorizes WAP for up to $350 million for each of the fiscal years 2020-2024. Funding for FY 2019 was $257 million.
- Provide standards that take into consideration improvement in the health and safety benefits of occupants, as well as non-energy benefits
- Adds the ability to address structural, plumbing, roofing, electrical issues, and environmental hazards
- Installs more energy efficient technologies.
- Adds measures to improve indoor air quality.
The bills have slight differences that will need to be resolved before the bill comes up for vote.