Clean Energy Fund 5 (CEF5) – Grid Modernization Now Accepting Applications
Update: Phase One Applications now Due at 12:00PM Pacific Time on Thursday May 4, 2023. Based on feedback from potential applicants, the deadline for Phase One Applications has been extended to 12:00PM Pacific Time on Thursday May 4, 2023. A new schedule of procurement activities can be found in the RFA.
Commerce has announced a Request for Applications (RFA) with up to $10.67 Million in funding available for Grid Modernization projects.
This RFA will prioritize benefits to communities with high environmental or energy burden, Tribes, smaller utilities and partnerships. To encourage applications from organizations that have not received a Grid Modernization grant in the past, a funding carve out is set aside to support early stage planning projects for eligible applicants.
Funding is also available for implementation of projects that have completed planning and are ready for construction.
Commerce hosted a pre-application conference on March 22, 2023. This conference shared details about the program and the application process as well as to answer questions. Participation is not a prerequisite for submitting an application.
Questions & Answers
Beginning March 20, 2023 when the RFA opens, questions about the application may be submitted to the Solicitation Coordinator through email CEF@Commerce.wa.gov until 5:00pm on April 27, 2023. Answers will be posted periodically, but no later than Monday May 1, 2023 and will be posted under the Program Documents.
This RFA is open on March 20, 2023.
- Phase One application will be accepted until noon on Thursday May 4, 2023
- Phase Two will open on June 8, 2023
- Phase Two applications will be due by noon on July 24, 2023
Send questions to CEF@Commerce.wa.gov. Phone calls will not be accepted.
- CEF 5 Grid Mod 2023 Request for Applications (RFA) (PDF)
- CEF 5 Grid Mod 2023 Track One Phase One Application and Instructions (Word)
- CEF 5 Grid Mod 2023 Track Two Phase One Application and Instructions (Word)
- CEF 5 Grid Mod 2023 Phase One Pre-Application Conference Materials
The Grid Modernization program has supported electrical utilities across the state in the challenges of integrating renewable energy technologies and building a more sustainable and resilient grid. Now in its fifth iteration, this program has expanded eligibility to include:
- Federally recognized Tribal governments
- Community organizations
- Local governments
- Public and private electrical utilities