Digital Equity Forum
Access to broadband services is essential and Washington residents are still struggling to get online. The state’s goal is to provide all residents access to high-speed broadband – 150 Megabits per second download and upload – by 2028.
The Washington State Office of Equity and the Washington State Broadband Office are partnering to convene and co-chair a Digital Equity Forum. The forum will include representation by:
- Tribal governments
- Underserved and unserved communities, including historically disadvantaged communities
- State legislators
- State Agencies
The Digital Equity Forum expects to meet through October 2022 and is holding community listening sessions to ensure that community stories and voices are heard. Community listening sessions will reflect different community perspectives and interests for broadband access, affordability, and digital literacy. Information on how to participate in listening sessions will be provided through our email distribution list. Community listening sessions will be focused on the following key questions:
- Have you experienced anything that kept you from feeling connected to the internet? If yes, what are the challenges?
- What do you need to be able to use the internet for your personal life?
- What do you need to be able to use the internet for your work or job?
- What could state government do to help support your needs for using the internet?
By January 2023, the Digital Equity Forum will develop recommendations for the Legislature. The forum will consider all voices in developing recommendations that:
- Advance digital equity statewide
- Promote strategies to meet the state’s speed goals
To learn more about the work of the Digital Equity Forum and how to become involved, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Digital Equity Forum is committed to hosting accessible events that promote belonging, justice, and dignity. To request communication services (interpreters, written information in other languages, or other services) or accommodations, please call (360) 688-3472 or 711 (Telephone Relay Service), or email email@example.com. Please make requests at least 14 days in advance of the event to allow time to make the proper arrangements.
Upcoming Community Feedback Sessions
The Department of Commerce and Office of Equity are hosting three community feedback sessions to hear your feedback on the 2022 Digital Equity Forum meetings to help shape the vision for 2023. All Digital Equity Forum community members are welcome.
American Sign Language interpretation and Real-time captioning will be provided. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like additional accommodations.
Digital Equity Forum Meetings
Due to the statewide emergency related to COVID-19 meetings are planned to be held virtually. If in-person meetings become possible, the time and location will be updated on this project website. The schedule is subject to change.
The meeting agenda and recording for the December 9th meeting can be found below.
- August 24, 2023 Meeting Agenda (Word)
- August 24, 2023 Digital Equity Forum Meeting Minutes (Word)
- August 24, 2023 Digital Equity Forum Meeting Slidedeck (PDF)
- Email to Digital Equity Forum Special Meeting Instructions August 24, 2023 (Word)
- Email to Digital Equity Forum Special Meeting Follow-up August 24, 2023 (PDF)
- Digital Equity Forum Guidance for Providing Feedback on the Broadband Equity, Access and Deployment 5-Year Action Plan and Digital Equity Plan (Word)
- Digital Equity Forum BEAD Team Presentation Template (PowerPoint)
- Digital Equity Forum BEAD Feedback Template (Word)
- September 7, 2023 Digital Equity Forum Special Meeting Agenda (PDF)
- September 7, 2023 Digital Equity Forum Special Meeting Minutes (PDF)
- September 7, 2023 Digital Equity Forum Special Meeting Chat Log (PDF)
- September 7, 2023 Digital Equity Forum Team 1 Presentation (PDF)
- September 7, 2023 Digital Equity Forum Team 3 Presentation (PDF)
- Digital Equity Forum Team Member List (PDF)
- Digital Equity Forum Team Presentation Template (PDF)
- Digital Equity Forum DE Plan Input Guidance (PDF)
- Digital Equity Forum Feedback Template (PDF)
- September 21, 2023 Meeting Agenda (PDF)
- September 21, 2023 Meeting Notes (Word)
- Digital Navigator Program Awards Announcement Press Release (PDF)
- September 21, 2023 Digital Equity Forum BEAD Team Presentation (PowerPoint)
- September 21, 2023 Digital Equity Forum Team 1 Presentation Chapters 1-6 (PowerPoint)
- September 21, 2023 Digital Equity Forum Team 3 Presentation Chapters 1-3 (PowerPoint)
- September 21, 2023 Digital Equity Forum Team 3 Presentation Chapters 4-6 (PowerPoint)
- September 21, 2023 Digital Equity Forum Team 3 Feedback (Word)
The WSBO and the Office of Equity are partnering to hold a Digital Equity Forum. The forum will include representation by tribal governments, underserved and unserved communities, including historically disadvantaged communities, state agencies, and state legislators. The public is invited to participate in meetings and listening sessions, which will be scheduled through November 2022. The Forum will consider all voices in developing recommendations to advance access, affordability, and digital literacy in Washington state.
Information on how to participate and attend these meetings, as well as any changes to the schedule will be provided on this project website as well as sent out to a distribution list.
To receive email updates, please email DigitalEquity@Commerce.wa.gov and ask to be added to our distribution list.
Digital Equity Forum, Care of Washington State Broadband Office, PO Box 42525, Olympia, WA, 98504
- Director Mark Vasconi – Director, Washington State Broadband Office, Dept. of Commerce
- Director Megan Matthews – Director, Washington State Office of Equity
- Lisa Heaton – Digital Equity Unit Managing Director, Dept. of Commerce