Washington Statewide Reentry Council
The Legislature created the Statewide Reentry Council in 2016 to improve public safety and outcomes for individuals reentering the community (43.380 RCW). The council is also guided by Gov. Inslee’s Executive Order 16-05: Building Safe and Strong Communities Through Successful Reentry.
Reentry Council Updates
Janel McFeat named Executive Director of Washington Statewide Reentry Council
OLYMPIA, WA — Human rights champion Janel McFeat will lead Washington’s Statewide Reentry Council beginning January 3. McFeat started her social work career in Tacoma and currently serves as a strategic planner/program manager for the Port Gamble S’Klallam Tribe, where she created a nationally-recognized reentry program using evidence-based practices and a people-first human dignity model. She is a White House Champion for Change nominee and recipient of the Linda Gabriel
In Dec. 2020, the Council published its Biennial Report of the Statewide Reentry Council (PDF), including a summary of legislative recommendations regarding policy topics members are committed to supporting:
- End housing discrimination and homelessness following reentry by passing the Housing Justice Act, expanding and fully funding the Department of Corrections (DOC) Housing Voucher Program, and using vacant public land to provide reentry housing.
- Center community and family in reentry by funding community organizations and supporting any associated DOC and county staffing needs to provide services inside prisons and jails following release.
- Expand the use of technology to increase access to support, including family communication, community-led groups and programs, DOC programs, education and vocational training.
- Provide comprehensive, individualized reentry plans.
- Address systemic racial disparities and COVID-19 risks by reducing prison and jail populations.
Reports and Publications
The council gathers at least four times a year and currently meets bi-monthly. Due to Gov. Inslee lifting the COVID-19 restrictions, the council will host hybrid meetings in-person and online options on a virtual platform. All Reentry Council meetings are open to the public.
Council Meeting Schedule
Pleas review the Statewide Reentry Council 2023 Meeting Schedule (PDF) for specific meeting details on time and location.
- January 12th, 2023 – Olympia, Washington
- March 9th , 2023 – Tacoma, Washington
- May 11th, 2023 – Port Orchard, WA
- July 13th, 2023 – Yakima, WA 98901
- September 14th, 2023 – Spokane, WA
- November 9th, 2023 – Kingston, WA
Council Meeting Resources
- Statewide Reentry Council Members
- Statewide Reentry Council 2023 Meeting Schedule (PDF)
- Reentry Council Meeting Documents Archive (on Box)
- Bylaws of Statewide Reentry Council (PDF)
- Past Meeting Recordings