Washington Statewide Reentry Council
The Legislature created the Statewide Reentry Council in 2016 to improve public safety and outcomes for individuals reentering the community (43.380 RCW). The council is also guided by Gov. Inslee’s Executive Order 16-05: Building Safe and Strong Communities Through Successful Reentry. Services and activities include:
- Increase collaboration between local and state programs relevant to reentering the community.
- Improve safety for victims and their families.
- Improve outcomes for individuals reentering the community.
- Develop and monitor statewide goals relevant to reentry.
- Recommend system and policy changes to reentry systems and supports.
- Report to the Legislature.
What we propose to do
In Dec. 2020, the Council published their Biennial Report of the Statewide Reentry Council (PDF), including a summary of legislative recommendations regarding policy topics members are committed to supporting:
- End housing discrimination and homelessness following reentry through means such as passing the Housing Justice Act, expanding and fully funding the Department of Corrections (DOC) Housing Voucher Program, and use vacant public land to provide reentry housing.
- Center community and family in the process of reentry by funding community organizations and supporting any associated DOC and county staffing needs to provide services inside prisons and jails following release.
- Expand the use of technology to increase access to support, including family communication, community-led groups and programs, DOC programs, education and vocational training.
- Provide comprehensive, individualized reentry plans.
- Address systemic racial disparities and COVID-19 risks by reducing prison and jail populations.
Council Meeting Documents
The council gathers at least four times a year – and at least once at a state correctional facility. Due to COVID-19, we have switched to a virtual platform until further notice. All Reentry Council meetings are open to the public. To access current and archived council documents, click the link below.