Puget Sound National Estuary Program - Integrated Watershed and Stormwater Planning
The Washington State Departments of Commerce and Ecology are coordinating their efforts since 2011 to promote Watershed based planning approaches to development and natural resource protection. Funding has been directed to support numerous local, tribal, and non-profit groups to improve environmental outcomes for Puget Sound. Since 2016 these agencies are working with the Washington State University Stormwater Center to promote integrated Stormwater and Land Use Planning approaches, and are collaborating with other federal, state, local and Tribal partners to promote regional priorities and fund targeted Near Term Actions to recover Puget Sound.
Watershed projects by Commerce includes work on:
• promoting more Regional Alliances to improve cross-jurisdictional planning, with an emerging focus on regional approaches to targeted stormwater mitigation
• Puget Sound Mapping to display current and expected development patterns and how they may impact the region’s environmental health
Stormwater projects include Watershed-based retrofit planning, as well as developing new Implementation Strategies for improving freshwater stream health and reducing toxic pollution impacts on fish.
Results and Achievements:
Helped develop and use targets for Puget Sound Action Agenda
20 grants issued to local governments and one tribe for addressing planning issues
Permit Data Project Phase 2 complete with Sound-wide integrated zoning map and targeted development areas
Regional Alliances support local integrating organizations in Kitsap, Pierce and King counties so far. Current focus is regional Stormwater management to support urban infill efforts.
- Growth Management
- Governor’s Smart Communities Awards Program
- GMA Laws and Rules
- GMA Periodic Update
- Growth Management Grants
- Growth Management Topics
- Guidebooks and Resources
- Civilian-Military Compatibility
- Regional Planners’ Forums
- Short Course on Local Planning
- Submitting Materials to the State for Review