The Statewide Reentry Council was created in 2016 to improve public safety and outcomes for individuals reentering the community (43.380 RCW). Services include:
- Increase collaboration between local and state programs relevant to reentering the community.
- Improve safety for victims and their families.
- Improve outcomes for individuals reentering the community.
- Develop and monitor statewide goals relevant to reentry.
- Recommend system and policy changes to reentry systems and supports.
- Report to the Legislature.
The Governor appointed 15 members from the community that represent a variety of constituencies and organizations.
What we propose to do
In December 2016 the Council published their first Report on Reentry From Confinement including policy topics most members were committed to supporting this year.
- Expand access to housing supports.
- Expand access to educational opportunities.
- Issue state identification prior to exiting incarceration.
- ‘Ban the box’ for employment.
- Continue to reform legal financial obligation laws.
- Support the Civil Justice Reinvestment Plan and other legal aid support efforts.
- Expand access to educational opportunities related to job placement for youth in Juvenile Rehabilitation facilities.
- Consider expansion of the Certificate of Restoration of Opportunity (CROP).
- Remove employment, housing and other barriers based on criminal records.
Reentry News and Events
February 8: Reentry Simulation. Please join us from 4:00 pm – 6:30 pm in the Columbia Room in the Legislative Building at the Capitol for a reentry simulation. The invitation and RSVP information is available here.
October 10: Discover Washington’s Hidden Workforce: an Employer Forum Register now on Eventbrite – and encourage employers to attend!
October 19: Candidate Forum on Public Health, Safety, Reentry, and Justice Reform. Public Defenders Association. Contact Enrique Gonzalez for more information.
October 21, 12:30-3:30 PM: Monroe Correctional Complex WSRU Reentry Resource Event. Susan Piccini, 206-516-7774.
October 29-30: International Community Corrections Association (ICCA) Annual Conference, Seattle. Details and registration are online. Multiple Council members are presenting.
November 3: National Day of Prison and Reentry Nonprofits.
November 14, 12:30-3:30 PM: Statewide Reentry Council Meeting will be held at the Religious Activity Center (RAC) located in the Washington State Reformatory Unit (WSRU) of the Monroe Correctional Complex. Meeting is open to the public but clearance is required. Please email Christopher Poulos at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 360-725-2852 for more information.
Bylaws of Statewide Reentry Council (PDF)
Report on Reentry From Confinement (our first progress report)
Chapter 43.380 RCW (authorizing statute)
Governor Inslee’s Executive Order 16-05: Building Safe and Strong Communities Through Successful Reentry
The Council gathers at least four times a year, often in Pierce County – and at least once at a state correctional facility. All Reentry Council meetings are open to the public.
July 12, 2016 (PDF)
October 18, 2016 (PDF)
November 29, 2016 (PDF)
January 25, 2017 (PDF)
March 15, 2017 (PDF)
June 15, 2017 (PDF)
September 28, 2017 (PDF): Statewide Reentry Council Meeting. King County Courthouse.
November 14, 2017: Statewide Reentry Council meeting. Washington State Reformatory (Monroe Correctional Complex).
December 5, 2017 (PDF): Statewide Reentry Council meeting will be held in the Solutions Room of the King County Courthouse. The Solutions Room is located on the 4th floor of the courthouse. 12:30-3:30 PM.
516 Third Avenue, Seattle, WA. The main topic will be finalizing the Council’s legislative agenda for the upcoming session.
January 17, 2018: Legislative Lunch. 12:00-1:00 PM. Temple of Justice Reception Room, Olympia.
January 17, 2018 (PDF): Statewide Reentry Council meeting. 1:30 PM. Commerce offices, Olympia (following the Legislative Lunch).
April 25, 2018 (PDF)