Fuel Mix Disclosure
As mandated by RCW - 19.29A, utilities must periodically disclose to their customers the mix of fuels used to generate the electricity sold to them. Utilities annually report their sources of electricity to the Dept. of Commerce. Claims reported by utilities inform an annual utility fuel mix, which is made up of declared resources, the net system mix, and the BPA fuel mixes.
Utilities provide the following information in megawatt hours (MWh):
- Total electricity retail sales including power purchases necessary to cover line losses.
- Reliance on market power to serve retail load (spot market)
- Amount of electricity purchased from BPA
- Claims of ownership or contract output from specific generating units (i.e., declared resources)
- Claims of ownership and retirement of Renewable Energy Credits
- Claims of ownership or contract output from distributed generation
What do we do with reported information?